Tuesday, May 7, 2013

NerdWallet’s Mother’s Day Your Way Contest


There is a great contest out on Nerd Wallet.    All you need to do is write a blog post about the best Mother's Day present under $25.     For me I didn't even have to think twice about what I was going to make or what would be the best gift for me to give someone for Mother's Day.    For me it is all about scrapbooking.    What better than to scrapbook a memory for a gift for today and to preserve memories for future generations to enjoy.   It is my go to gift for birthdays, mothers, brides, etc.  

So here are some quick tips to save money on making your own scrapbook page.   If you visit your local scrapbook store, crafty friend or your favorite Stampin' Up! demonstrator like me, you are bound to find plenty of tools and punches that you can use borrow to make your projects.   Also if you visit the bargain bins or walking around your own home, you are bound to find embellishments to make your page.     I know we all have buttons and ribbons laying in our homes.    You can easily print your titles or embellishments as well.    Just print, cut out them out and add them to your page.    Lastily if you are creatively challenge, ask a crafter whose work you enjoy and ask them how much they would charge to make a page just for you.     

For my crafty friends, here is how the flowers were made.   I punched 3 different scallop circle shapes.   The sizes I used were the 2 3/8", 1 3/4" and 1 1/4".  I punched two of each scallop shape.  I first broke up the fibers in the paper by using a bone folder.   Next I put a hole through the center with a paper piercer.    Then I scrunched up paper flowers and then played with them to get the effect I was looking for.    I just love how they look almost like fabric flowers.

The end result was a scrapbook page I made for my mom with her three little angels.   My two nieces and my nephew.    They are the joys of her life and I know she will love receiving this gift from me on Mother's Day.

No comments: